Re: st: Reshape limit

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Reshape limit
Date   Wed, 5 Nov 2008 02:17:05 -0600

On Nov 5, 2008, at 1:47 AM, Ashim Kapoor wrote:
I have 3 variables value  , j1 and j2.

j1 goes from 1 to 3
j2 goes from 1 to 10032

and the data is in long form.

When I say reshape wide value,i(j1) j(j2)

Stata says that I have too many values for j2.

If the situation is as you describe above, then the command

    reshape wide value, i(j1) j(j2)

is asking Stata to create up to 10,032 new variables. Unless you are using Stata/SE or Stata/MP, this is not possible (i.e., the maximum number of variables for Stata/IC is 2,047). In addition, -reshape- may impose its own limit on the number of new variables it will try to create (I don't know if this is true or not). Regardless, are you sure this is what you want to do? Is it possible that you simply switched the roles of j1 and j2?

-- Phil