Re: st: How to create weight variable

From   "Ángel Rodríguez Laso" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to create weight variable
Date   Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:10:16 +0100

"Ángel, I am not exactly clear about the part where you suggest
calculating psweights after pweighting the sample. Part of my question
related to confirming if my thinking on how to pweight the sample was
correct."

Fran,

Sorry for the confusion I've created with the term pweight.

Post stratification (also known as calibration) is the last step in
weighting. Post stratification weights are calculated after weighting
the sample by its design weights (also known as probability of
selection weights, that are the inverse to the probability with which
each sample unit is selected) and its non-response weights (the
inverse to non response rates in different parts of the population).
If in your sample all individuals from one strata had the same
probability of being selected (without clustering, for example) and
response rates were similar across groups of the population, then you
only need to calculate post stratification weights with the formulas
that you or me are proposing. The weight you obtain then is the
pweight you have to use in Stata.

Angel Rodriguez-Laso