Re: st: Skewness estimates with svyset data

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Skewness estimates with svyset data
Date   Tue, 4 Nov 2008 12:18:04 -0500

An interesting application! I used BMI with NHANES to scare my
students in my survey stats class :)).

In this situation, I would trust -nlcom- results better. I am not that
sure that -summarize- uses the proper weight algebra, and the
differences are of course greater if you have drastically different
weights (and NHANES, to my knowledge, is known for some rather wild
design specification and weight differentials).

So have you tried that LMS method? Being-a-good-guy rules of Statalist
suggest that you give full references. I have heard of the method, but
don't know the details. If I were doing this, I would try some smooth
functions of age to model means, variances and asymmetry -- I like
B-splines, and other people like fractional polynomials better (which
might actually show the desired behavior -- rapid growth through
childhood and adolescence, slight decay in height with age, and they
say in the US you gain weight via Halloween, Thanksgiving and
Christmas celebrations that you never lose through the rest of the
year :)).