Re: st: Skewness estimates with svyset data

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Skewness estimates with svyset data
Date   Mon, 3 Nov 2008 22:11:13 +0000 (GMT)

--- Richard Palmer-Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks - I did check using summarize with weights, and other tests
> (sktest), and qnorm/pnrom, and generally skewness is no problem, but
> for some subsamples it may be. I am jconcerned that  stratification
> is lost by these views.

It looks like you are worried about normality assumptions. This worries
me for two reasons: First, these assumptions typically refer to the
residuals, and not the dependent variable (or in other words the
dependent variable is normally distributed conditional on the
explanatory variables). Your reference to subsamples suggests that you
are not looking at the residuals. Second, when you are doing survey
methods, you are automatically using robust/Huber/White/sandwich
estimators, so you are effectively bypassing many if not all the
normality assumptions.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis