RE: st: RE: 3 Problems in Panel Data Analysis

Subject   RE: st: RE: 3 Problems in Panel Data Analysis
Date   Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:04:31 +0200

Fardad,

1) sounds as if you thought Stata should give you some kind of secret test
that let`s you off the hook if -hausman- tells you not to do something. -h
hausman- certainly mentions -suest- as an alternative, but it is probably
not designed to let you circumvent evidence not to apply RE. -hausman-
checks for the differences between an always consistent estimator (FE in
this case) and an efficient one under the null. If the difference is outside
of bounds established by the underlying theory, it will let you know and you
should heed the advice...

2) I understand from your reply to Nils that you think heteroskedasticity
would invalidate your point estimates, which I do not believe to be true. It
does impact your standard errors, though, which can lead to mistakes in
inference.

4) -xthtaylor- allows correlation between parts of your covariates and the
individual effects ("u_i") while the RE estimator requires that neither u_i
nor the e_it are correlated with the covariates. The advantage is that you
do not have to find external instruments because the command constructs them
from within. Check the entry in [XT] for the details.

5) -xtivreg- is designed to remedy correlation btw covariates and the e_it,
while -xthtaylor- deals with correlation btw regressors and the u_i...

HTH
Martin