Re: st: Questions related to -predict-, -adjust-, and predictive margins

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Questions related to -predict-, -adjust-, and predictive margins
Date   Thu, 25 Sep 2008 19:30:20 -0400

Michael would like a standard error for the weighted average of
P(foreign|himpg =0, Z) - P(foreign | high mpg=1, Z)
with other covariates at their original values Z. In SUDAAN parlance, the weighted average of the individual estimated probabilities is a "predicted marginal" and the difference is a contrast in the predicted marginals. (SUDAAN 8.0 Manual, p. 266).

SUDAAN cam compute standard errors for the predicted marginals and their contrasts. Stata can compute the predicted marginals and contrasts, but not their standard errors.

To compute the predicted marginals and their contrasts in Stata, run - svy: logit- . Then compute the individual predicted values: -adjust- will do it easily with the -pr- and -gen- options. Once individual predictions are at hand, -generate- the difference between any two. A call to -svy: mean- will compute the average of the predicted values (i.e. the "predicted marginals" and of the differences. However the standard error produced by -svy: mean- will not account for uncertainty in the estimated coefficients, and so will be too small.

Despite this, it may be useful, and perhaps something is to be learned graphing the distribution of the differences for various groups, with -dotplot-.

Michael can also get an idea of the magnitude of error in individual predictions by computing confidence intervals for them; he can do this by running -predict- after his -svy: logit-. If he generates the linear predictor -xb- and its standard error -stdp-, he can compute a CI for the linear predictor, then endpoints for the predicted probability itself. He could then plot a histogram of the length of these intervals. -predictnl- run after -svy: logit- can also directly compute the difference in probabilities and will also produce a standard error for these differences.

-Steve