Re: st: Questions related to -predict-, -adjust-, and predictive margins

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Questions related to -predict-, -adjust-, and predictive margins
Date   Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:07:12 -0400

Michael:

Question 1: See http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-09/ msg00667.html Be sure to zap gremlins in a good text editor before using.

Question 2: I'll send you a file privately which plots predictions for a range of values of each variable, holding the others at their means. It is a little long to list here, though you can see a version at: http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-09/msg00221.html

Question 3: I'll leave to someone else.

In my examples I use the built-in auto data and predict foreign as a function of mpg, weight, and turnk. I've found that holding all variables at their means (typical values) leads to very *atypical* predictions. The predicted value at the means is about 15%, but the average of the predicted values is about 29% (this is also, by the mechanics of maximum likelihood, the same as the crude or weighted proportion).

-Steve