Re: st: RE: Re: label (automatically)

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Re: label (automatically)
Date   Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:39:26 -0500

I'd forgotten about this. Thanks for the plug.

I think this predates SSC. Either way, it is probably not on SSC because
I just posted it there and did not bother to write a help file. Stuff like that never makes the grade to SSC and thus to -njc_stuff- on SSC.

Twelve years on, that's still my inclination.

A very good reason for that, as already pointed out, is that -defv- already exists to do the job.

A key detail for Kit's program is that -gettoken- should parse on equals signs as well.

Also, what happens if people write -mygen double lprice = log(price)-?

Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311) wrote:

 Yes - Nick Cox wrote -labgen.ado- which does excactly that. FOr some
reason this is not on SSC. Perhaps Nick could make it avaliable.

*! version 1.0.1  7/17/1996
program define labgen
	version 4.0
	parse "`*'", parse(" =")
	if "`2'"=="=" {
		local var `1'
		mac shift 2
	}
	else if "`3'"=="=" {
		local type `1'
		mac shift
		local var `1'
		mac shift 2
	}
	else { error 198 }
	gen `type' `var' = `*'
	label var `var' "`*'"
end
Christopher

Not to my knowledge.
Probably the best way of documenting this is to use variable -notes-. Try this:

program mygen
qui gen `0'
gettoken name rest: 0
note `name': `0'