Re: st: clear

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: clear
Date   Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:01:33 -0400

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Steven Samuels
<[email protected]> wrote:

>  -graph drop _all-   seems to be what Sergiy is looking for.
>
> -Steve

2Steve: yes, this is in my original email: "Of course adding graph
drop _all resolves the problem, but why is this not a part of the
-clear- command itself?" It's more of a question "is there any reason
for not clearing the graphs when everything else is cleared?" The
question is inspired by the old behavior of clear (Stata 9), which
always closed graph windows. Now this is achieved with clear all. I
assume the change had a reason and was curious to ask about it
[reason].

Also, even though the manual says that clear all is equivalent to
program drop _all (and other cleaning commands) it is technically not
so: clear itself is implemented as an ado file and can not drop
itself:

. clear all

. program dir
  ado      146  clear.clearreturn
  ado      507  clear._clear_9
  ado     1105  clear
      --------
          1758

While:
. program drop _all

. program dir

eliminates all programs completely. But this is not very interesting.

Thank you,
   Sergiy Radyakin