RE: st: Modeling animal growth - nonlinear mixed model

From   "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Modeling animal growth - nonlinear mixed model
Date   Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:10:07 -0500

Burt - If you want to write your own code, you could do this by
expanding the nonlinear model in a 1-step Taylor series and iterating -
for example, see Appendix 5.1 in Goldstein (below). However I agree, it
would be nice if Stata had a command to do this directly.

Goldstein, Harvey 1995. Multilevel Statistical Models, Second Ed.
London: Edward Anold Press.

Al Feiveson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of David Airey
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 3:39 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Modeling animal growth - nonlinear mixed model

.

I don't think there are any nonlinear mixed models in Stata (there is a
vce option for clusters in nl, but that's it). NLME in R is an option if
you have lost access to SAS, but sticking with SAS for this problem
seems best since you've done it before. Both xtmixed and gllamm are for
linear models or latent linear models (no exponentiated coefficients).
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

-Dave