st: Problem with mac odbc drivers

From   "Fred Wolfe" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Problem with mac odbc drivers
Date   Sat, 20 Sep 2008 20:32:28 -0500

We want to share this information with the Stata list regarding a
problem we had with ODBC transfers from a Windows SQL Server database
to Stata MP on the Mac.

We have Windows SQL Server from which we move data to Stata. We do
this directly and via StatTransfer. This was a Windows to Stata MP for
the PC transfer in the past. We had no problem. Earlier in the year we
switched to a Mac server. Therefore our ODBC transfer was from Windows
SQL Server to Stata Mac MP 10.1.  Several months ago after Stata
"fixed" a date formatting problem we noticed we were getting a few
"bad dates." Dates that were good in SQL came over as missing or as
wierd values. We verified that did not happen in the Windows to Stata
Windows transfer, but only in the Windows to Stata mac transfer. It
was only dates, and only a few. For example from 3 to 70 out of
several hundred thousand. We thought it might be an ODBC problem
because it appeared to be related to the physical position of the
dates in the SQL database. Stata Corp could not duplicate our problem
using their MYSQL system. We were using the Actual Technologies ODBC
driver. Actual Technologists was unable to help with the problem. We
have now just replaced the ODBC driver with one made by OpenLink and
the problem has disappeared (or seems to have disappeared). We post
this in the event someone else runs into a similar problem.

Fred Wolfe (for the NDB group).

--
Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases