Re: st: RE: tips to manage multiple do files?

From   Glenn Hoetker <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: tips to manage multiple do files?
Date   Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:28:47 -0500

I take a different approach, which is keep all of a projects code in one honking large do file, which is divided into sections. I pasted a skeleton version of this below. To explain what I'm trying to do in several places, since this is pretty idiosyncratic.

1. The "Header" section
(a) gives information on the file (in case I ever find a print-out of it somewhere and need to find it on the computer)

(b) lists what files are used and produced by each section. Great when I can't figure out where "important_data_file_1" comes into play. I could probably do the same just be searching, but I like this way.

2. The "MACROS" section
(a) I use the local macro "do_me" to control which sections get run for a given run of the do file. The sections are labels a-z and I just insert the letters of the section I want to run into the do_me macro (here, I'll run parts a and b). More below.

(b) defines some temp variables, files, etc. just for future reference.

3. The MAIN CODE block
(a) Since I like to run my code and then examine the aftermath, I turn more off

(b) The line

if strpos("`do_me'","a")>0 {

evaluates to some number greater than 0 if I included "a" in my definition of do_me. In that case, everything with the brackets defining section "a" will be run. If "a" isn't in do_me, this evaluates to 0 and nothing between the brackets is run. And so on and so forth. This way I can go to one point of the do file (the Macros section), see what each section does and flip them on or off for a given run.

Typically, section A is all about taking raw data and manipulating it into the data I'll use and then saving that for use by subsequent sessions. With any luck, I only have to run this section once. Section B is probably descriptive statistics, C-?? will be different modeling strategies. Then they'll be a section for producing publication-ready output.

The pluses I've found to this system are that everything is captured in one place, easy to reference, edit and run. I don't have to comment sections in and out to control what runs. There are minuses. Because the file is so long, typically, one has to watch it all scroll by on the screen. When editing, getting from one section to another can be a pain. I've solved this by always using text editors that allow for tags or bookmarks. I assign the tag "0" to the line "local do_me..."; the tag "A" to the starting line of section a, etc. Puts any part of the code within a few keystrokes.

I also make heavy use of comments throughout the code, largely because in my field (management), there may be 6 months between when I submit an article and when I see what referees want me to revise. I have to have some way of figuring out what the heck I did all that time ago!

Hopefully of some use.

Best.

Glenn