RE: st: optimal bandwidth in Stata 8

From   "Benjamin Villena Roldan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: optimal bandwidth in Stata 8
Date   Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:41:16 -0400

Thanks for the information Austin,

-----Mensaje original-----
De: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] En nombre de Austin Nichols
Enviado el: Monday, September 15, 2008 12:53 PM
Para: [email protected]
Asunto: Re: st: optimal bandwidth in Stata 8

Benjamin Villena Roldan <[email protected]> :
The Methods and Formulas section of the manual entry [R] kdensity is
quite clear: the default bandwidth is .9*N^(-1/5)*min(sd(x),
IQR(x)/1.349) which is not globally optimal in any sense. The Methods
and Formulas section of the manual entry [R] lpoly shows the formula
for the "asymptotically optimal constant bandwidth" used there (also
not globally optimal). You mention kernreg and kernreg1 which are not
official Stata, so you would have to read their help files, read the
ado code, or contact their authors for more detail.  The -locpoly-
command on SSC enjoys a special status; it is not official Stata but
is written by Stata staff (way before -lpoly- was introduced). If you
 view "http://www.stata-journal.com/software/sj6-4/st0053_3/locpoly.hlp";
in Stata, you will find the hilarious throwaway line:

If width() is not specified, then the "default" width is used; see [R]
kdensity.  This default is entirely inappropriate for local polynomial
smoothing.  Roll your own.