Re: st: ZANDREWS

From   "Joao Ricardo F. Lima" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ZANDREWS
Date   Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:58:25 -0300

Richard,

to do the Chow test, I always see this FAQ:

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/chow.html

HTH,

Joao Lima

2008/9/14 Richard Harvey <[email protected]>:
> Thanks robert, maarten and joao,
>
> I am not entirely sure I understand how prof. yafee could identify the
> two breaks he pointed out. I couldnt understand what the statement "If
> we use a 3.5 sd measure of a critical value for a standard of a level
> shift" ..
>
> Thanks for the clemao2  suggestion, I will  try it out.
>
> But i have an issue with the chow test. As I under stand it uses OLS
> regression using points before and after the break point. The
> relaibaility of this test would be highly dependent on when the break
> happens, is it not?  there must be enough number of time series points
> to run the regressions reliably.
>
> There is an ado which does the chow test in stata, I was looking at it
> when I got your mail. But the ado by Sean Becketti - STB:  sts7
> (STB-17) has errors. When I run it, I get the following
>
> program error:  code follows on the same line as open brace
> r(198);
>
> I tried to fix the ado, but now it dosent give me any results,
> nothing. Set trace on reveals nothing.
>
> thanks
> rich
>

> On 9/14/08, Joao Ricardo F. Lima <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dear Richard,
>>
>> if you are looking for structural breaks in the data, why don�t you
>> use Chow Test?
>>
>> As I understand, Zandrews is a unit root test allowing for structural
>> change. According to Professor Robert, there are two significant level
>> shifts in the series. Zandrews test is for only one break. With 2
>> breaks you can use clemao2 or clemio2 -findit clemao_io-.
>>
>> See Kit�s paper "Stata: the languague of choice for time series
>> analysis?" to understand these unit root tests. You can download it
>> free:
>>
>> http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0080
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Joao Lima
>>
>> 2008/9/13 Richard Harvey <[email protected]>:
> [...]
>>> 1       -160395.5
>>> 2       -575569.9
>>> 3       -255174.5
>>> 4       -126203.1
>>> 5       -375763.7
>>> 6       -32561.49
>>> 7       -87045.1
>>> 8       -91822.47
>>> 9       -31134.7
>>> 10      -102519
>>> 11      -84379.84
>>> 12      -266297.5
>>> 13      -80520.79
>>> 14      -48140.91
>>> 15      27969.55
>>> 16      -38107.77
>>> 17      -127254
>>> 18      -171679.9
>>> 19      -25015.38
>>> 20      -92405.42
>>> 21      75767.31
>>> 22      -45497.32
>>> 23      -188625.2
>>> 24      30972.86
>>> 25      -4018.882
>>> 26      -32145.2
>>> 27      -80913.73
>>> 28      -24621.37
>>> 29      -61688.87
>>> 30      -123890.4
>>> 31      -45585.37
>>> 32      -132729.1
>>> 33      -106762.2
>>> 34      -143616.2
>>> 35      -215439.4
>>> 36      -133058.6
>>>
>>> I would like to see if and when there are any structural breaks in the
>>> data.
>>>
>>> I came across Kit's zandrews prog. -ssc d zandrews-  is this the
>>> command to use? the graph option on this looks very useful.
>>> But how does one interpret the break point t-stats? When i use the
>>> command with the above data.  I do not find any point above the
>>> (critical 5%: -4.42).
>>>  so does this mean  that the series does not have any significant
>>> breakpoints ?
>>>
>>> thanks very much for you time
>>> rich
>>> *