Re: st: --svy & --pweights: problems for median, graphs & regression

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: --svy & --pweights: problems for median, graphs & regression
Date   Thu, 11 Sep 2008 03:07:53 -0400

Hafida

a. Look at -help- for -pctile- and -_pctile-. These take pweights

b. -histogram- will take fweights, but not pweights: See http:// www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-10/msg00327.html and preceding messages in the thread.

c. -svy: reg- automatically computes standard errors that are robust to heteroskedasticity. Homogeneity of variance is not an assumption for survey tests of means or regression coefficients.

d. See: http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-12/msg00621.html to compute an adjusted R-square with survey data. You should consider other measures of fit, such as -linktest-.

e. No--not if you want to believe the standard errors and tests. However you might be able to test hypotheses about single-outcome survey regressions with -suest-.

To use the survey-enabled programs like -svy: reg- for inference (hypothesis, confidence intervals, standard errors) you must first - svyset- your data. -svyset- will allow you to account for the entire sampling design, not just weighting.

For future reference the appropriate way to refer to Stata commands in the list is with hyphens around them" "-manova-" , not "--manova"

-Steve