st: missing standard errors with single sampling units-help

From   "Adebola Odunlami" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: missing standard errors with single sampling units-help
Date   Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:20:11 -0400

Hi all,

I am seeking help to a problem with trying to get appropriate numbers for my standard errors.

So here's the problem. When I used weights to assess means of a variable, mpsyall6nodrm
by race( I have 3 categories), I don't get any standard errors for my means. Instead I get a message, stating "missing
standard errors for weighted sample because of stratum with single sampling unit." Someone told me to try to see which stratum has a single sampling unit in hopes of combining them. I found 5 single sampling units, combined them with ones preceding them but this still doesn't fix the problem when I check it again. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this?

Commands:
svydes mpsyall6nodrm
gen jhumka = clust
recode jhumka (29 = 30) (31= 32) (46 = 47) (88 = 89) (91 = 90)
svydes mpsyall6nodrm, finalstage

Adebola Odunlami, MPH
Doctoral Student
Society, Human Development and Health