st: Implementation of Propensity Score Matching, Balancing Property

From   "Pena,Anita" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Implementation of Propensity Score Matching, Balancing Property
Date   Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:03:46 -0600

Dear Statalist,
I am struggling with implementing propensity score matching.  Specifically, I am stuck with the balancing property and differences between pscore followed by att*, psmatch2 with pstest, and nnmatch.  I have tried several specifications using pscore for which the balancing property test consistently fails.  Using pstest after psmatch2, however, balancing seems to be satisfied for the same specifications that fail under pscore.  I would greatly appreciate if someone who has recently implemented propensity score matching in STATA could provide pointers on how to get balancing and also any insight on the advantages/disadvantages of the three alternative commands.
Many thanks!
Dr. Anita Alves Pena
Department of Economics
Colorado State University