Re: st: sts graph: customizing -legend- option of -sts graph-

From   Michael McCulloch <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: sts graph: customizing -legend- option of -sts graph-
Date   Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:27:14 -0700

Thank you Maarten, for two very efficient and reliable, solutions.

--- Michael McCulloch <[email protected]> wrote:
 I've created a KM plot comparing two troups, and have used the
 -legend- option. Note in the 1st graph example that they're labeled
 1, 2, and 3.

 Also note that in the second example, after dropping "drug 2", that
 even though 1 and 3 are left, they're labelled 1 and 2. If I've
 dropped 2, I'd like to see the labels say 1 and 3! Is there a way to
 do this?

 sysuse cancer.dta, clear
 stset studytime
 * graph 1
 sts graph, by(drug) atrisk legend(label(1 "drug 1") label(2 "drug 2")

 label(3 "drug 3")) ///
 drop if drug==2
 * graph 2
 sts graph, by(drug) atrisk legend(label(1 "drug 1") label(2 "drug 2")
 label(3 "drug 3")) ///
-label()- referes to first, second, and third line in your graph, not
to the value 1, 2, and 3 in the variable drug. This is necessary given
that the syntax of -legend- is designed to handle much more complex
graphs. There are two ways of doing what you want:

1) Say to Stata that the first line represents drug 1 and and second
line drug 3:

*----------- begin example ---------------
sysuse cancer.dta, clear
stset studytime, failure(died)
drop if drug == 2
sts graph, by(drug) atrisk ///
legend(label(1 "drug 1") ///
label(2 "drug 3")) *------------ end example ----------------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see
http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/stata/exampleFAQ.html )

2) Assign labels to the values of the variable drug:

*----------- begin example -----------
sysuse cancer.dta, clear
stset studytime, failure(died)
drop if drug == 2
label define drug 1 "drug 1" 2 "drug 2" 3 "drug 3"
label value drug drug
sts graph, by(drug) atrisk
*------------ end example ------------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see
http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/stata/exampleFAQ.html )

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis