RE: st: AGE at event occurrence as the time variable in mortalityanalysisrather than time between entry into follow up an event occurrence

From   uri goldbourt <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: AGE at event occurrence as the time variable in mortalityanalysisrather than time between entry into follow up an event occurrence
Date   Mon, 08 Sep 2008 00:51:26 +0300

Thank you. In the meantime I tried stset endage, enter(time begage) failure(died==1)and obtained almost identical results. I am trying to figure out why.

UG

-----------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-[email protected] [mailto:owner-[email protected]] On Behalf Of Svend Juul
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2008 10:21 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: AGE at event occurrence as the time variable in mortality analysis rather than time between entry into follow up an event occurrence

Uri wrote:

In an epidemiological study where we follow up very old individuals the

importance of time till event (say, mortality) pales in comparison to the

actual age of the individual when the endpoint event occurred. Using stcox

(for example) we would seek to estimate the event hazard ratios associated

with several predictors. In a cohort which spans over a meaningful age range

the age when the event occurs rather than how long it took to occur since

that person entered follow up which will matter. So instead of the later the

better we would like to say the older the better.

What is the accurate way to stset the data so that age at event(assuming of

course it is included for each event) become the time variable?

You can make age the time axis:

    stset endage , enter(time begage) failure(died==1) id(id)

where -begage- is the age at entry and -endage- the age at death

or censoring.

hth

Svend

Svend Juul