Re: st: AGE at event occurrence as the time variable in mortality analysis rather than time between entry into follow up an event occurrence

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AGE at event occurrence as the time variable in mortality analysis rather than time between entry into follow up an event occurrence
Date   Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:46:49 -0400

1. Svend and Maarten's advice for setting age as the time variable is still good.

2. You could add time from entry as a time-dependent covariate. However I suggest that you enter it in the form Z = age at entry. If Y is current age, then Y - Z is time from entry: the three are collinear. Age at entry is also equivalent to year of birth. Expressed in that way, it might capture some interesting effects of birth during wartime.

3. The risk sets of long-term survivors may be different genetically from the earlier risk sets--hardier, for example. This is the problem of heterogeneity. I suggest you employ one of the frailty options in -stcox-.

-Steve