RE: st: When number of regressors greater than the number of clusters in OLS regression

Subject   RE: st: When number of regressors greater than the number of clusters in OLS regression
Date   Mon, 1 Sep 2008 22:27:27 +0100

Steven, Divya,

This is good advice if in fact there is no within-state correlation in
the disturbance.

Divya, is there any reason to suspect within-state correlation may
exist?

--Mark

> Good luck!
>
> -Steven Samuels
>
> On Sep 1, 2008, at 4:22 PM, Divya Balasubramaniam wrote:
>
> > Hello Dr. Steven,
> >
> > My dependent variable is:share of total number of households in a
> > district having access to tap water. (I have the district totals)
> >
> > Divya.
> > =======================================
> > Divya Balasubramaniam
> > Economics PhD Student
> > Terry College of Business
> > University of Georgia
> > Athens -30602.
> >
> > From: Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
> > Date: September 1, 2008 4:13:40 PM EDT
> > To: [email protected]
> > Subject: Re: st: When number of regressors greater than the
> number of
> > clusters in OLS regression
> >

> > Divya,
> > I reread your question and realize that you probably do not have
> > sample data at all. The Census of India was not a sample at
> all, but,
> > ideally, was a 100% enumeration. (Just as in other countries, this
> > will not be perfectly true.) So, I am not sure that you should be
> > clustering on State, or even on district, for that matter.
> > Please reply with details about your observations. For
> example, do you
> > have information on individual households or just district totals?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Steven
> >

> > On Sep 1, 2008, at 1:05 PM, Steven Samuels wrote:
> >
> >> More basic questions, Divya:  What is your target population:  the
> >> 17 states (of India, perhaps?) or the entire country?  Were the 17
> >> states selected from all states by a sampling process?  Or
> were they
> >> chosen in some other way--for example, because they had data
> >> available.  Are all districts from the selected states in your
> >> sample?
> >>

> >> -Steven

> am emailing

> on several
> the state

> estimates and the
> answers as to
> the number of

> >> *
> >> *   For searches and help try:
> >> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> >> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> >> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
> >
> > *
> > *   For searches and help try:

registered under charity number SC000278.