st: RE: Endogenous truncated variable

Subject   st: RE: Endogenous truncated variable
Date   Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:02:04 +0100

Jose,

Which different options do you mean?  I've answered this question on the list on a number of occasions, and the answer I give doesn't change. :)  E.g.:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2004-07/msg00710.html
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-04/msg00945.html

And agrees with those of others, e.g.:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2004-09/msg00337.html

For a RHS endogenous regressor, IV is fine whether or not the variable is truncated, binary, whatever.  You can get efficiency gains over IV using system estimation methods that take account of the form of the regressor, but IV is still consistent.  More precisely, if it's well specified when it's exogenous, it's also well specified when it's endogenous and estimated by IV with the usual conditions on the instrument(s).

Cheers,
Mark

> I will
> appreciate an answer since it is a question of a dissertation
> I must submit in the next days.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Jos� Ignacio Ant�n
>

> __________ Informaci�n de ESET Smart Security, versi�n de la
> base de firmas de virus 3341 (20080808) __________
>
> ESET Smart Security ha comprobado este mensaje.
> http://www.eset.com

registered under charity number SC000278.