Re: st: 2SLS with Probit in the first-stage regression

From   jean ries <>
Subject   Re: st: 2SLS with Probit in the first-stage regression
Date   Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:23:54 +0200

Have a look at Wooldridge (2002), pages 623-625. He discusses the situation you are facing. He suggests the following procedure:

. probit w x1-xn z
. predict ghat
. ivreg y x1-xn (w = ghat)

y ==> outcome
x1-xn ==> exogenous variables
w ==> endogenous binary variable
z ==> instrument

Wooldridge shows that in this procedure the 2SLS standard errors remain valid. He also discusses the procedure you seem to have used:

. probit w x1-xn z
. predict ghat
. regress y x1-xn ghat

and points to the problems that arise by doing so.

Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data, MIT Press, 2002.

best wishes,