Re: st: Use a few observations from a tab-delimited or csv file

Subject   Re: st: Use a few observations from a tab-delimited or csv file
Date   Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:50:41 -0400

I would just like to second the motion to include an -in- qualifier
for insheet.  Just yesterday I received a csv file with 32 million
rows and 8 variables (1.7 GB) and, since I am using 32 bit Stata , I
couldn't use insheet and ended up writing a relatively slow loop using
infix with chunks of 5 million observations each.  After the
processing each chunk, the full file shrank to a usable size (string
dates converted to Stata dates and a couple of value labels made the
file < 1GB).

 It would have been very useful to be able to use insheet in this case
and I see no reason why the -in- or -if- qualifier isn't available for
this command.

Michael Blasnik