Re: st: Deleted a ROW

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Deleted a ROW
Date   Thu, 7 Aug 2008 18:34:47 -0400

Shehzad-

Within a Stata session, you can recover data only if you run - preserve- before making changes. However the best way to recover data is preventive.

1. Never write "save, replace". Always save to a different permanent data set. If your original data is "d01", for example, your next permanent save might be to d02. If you mistakenly drop something, it's still there in the original data.
2. Do all your final work with "do files" that you number and save.

If you take this approach, you will never lose data; you will be able recreate all your analyses and data up to any previous state. If you have mistakenly dropped some observations, for example, you can re- edit the do file; correct the -drop- statement; then rerun the do- file on the data it started with.

I've written down the protocol for data management and documentation that I follow. It is based on a 1981 article by Muller, Christiansen, and Smith , ("Guidelines for managing datasets, programs and printouts in scientific research," Computer Programs in Biomedicine 13:281-288) and on a 1985 STATA net course, co-taught by Bill Gould, if I remember rightly. The protocol is certainly not the last word (google "subversion version control"), but it works for me and I'd be happy to share it.

-Steve