st: how can I test my NBREG model?

From   "Cynthia Lokker" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: how can I test my NBREG model?
Date   Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:20:01 -0400

Hi,
I have a set of data with my dependant variable being a count and with 19
independent variables. I originally performed a multiple regression on a 60%
subset (n=757) and validated the model on the remaining 40% (n=504).
It has since been brought to my attention to use a negative binomial
regression since this fits my data better. I would now like to repeat the
analysis and compare the general findings of the nbreg with the former
multiple regression (magnitude of co-efficients etc).
I have the following questions:
1. Is it feasible to compare (generally) the 2 types of analysis?
2. Can I validate my nbreg model in the same way as I did with the multiple
regression?
3. What stata commands would I need to use to do #2?

As ever, any assistance or guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks
Cynthia Lokker