RE: st: saving a matrix with rownames

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: saving a matrix with rownames
Date   Fri, 30 May 2008 13:54:31 +0100

.
This is true but not Walt's problem. He is dealing with the rownames of
a matrix.

Gabi Huiber

The command

unab myvarnames: _all

will collect the names of all the variables in your dataset in the
local macro called `myvarnames.' That's usually all you need for doing
things automatically to each variable -- like running summary stats,
etc.

But if you must have these names collected as observations in a
variable, then you could create a new, blank dataset, while this local
macro is in memory. You call this new dataset say myvars.dta, set it
to have one variable, called say myvarnames, then have Stata enter
each word in the `myvarnames' local as an observation in myvarnames,
and finally save, replace.