RE: st: creating a variable using -if-? programming needed?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: creating a variable using -if-? programming needed?
Date   Thu, 15 May 2008 15:24:34 +0100

Using the same assumption of a Noah's ark situation in which everyone is
paired off, with no dependents, in-laws, etc., there are other minor
variations on Scott's theme.

bysort site family: gen partner_income = cond(_n == 1, personal[2],
personal[1])

bysort site family: gen partner_income = personal[3 - _n]

I am fond of the second. If it looks puzzling, just go through the two
cases. If _n is 1, then 3 - _n is 2, and vice versa.

The key underlying principle, if it is not familiar, is that under -by:-
_n is interpreted within groups, not within the entire dataset. There is
a leisurely tutorial
at

<http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=pr0004>

N.B. this is in the public domain.

Scott Merryman

What defines a partner?  Someone within the same two-person family?

Perhaps something like this:

clear
input site family person personal_labor_income
 1       1            1        2000
 1       1            2        2300
 1       2            1        200
 1       2            3        3000
 2       10           4        3400
 2       10           5        3500
end

bysort site family : gen partner_income = cond(_n ==1,
personal[_n+1],personal[_n-1])

Ekaterina Selezneva