st: RE: graph question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: graph question
Date   Thu, 15 May 2008 15:12:13 +0100

Good question. My answer: you need a different data structure first.
Warning: this destroys your data.

Assume variables v1-v7. Then consider

gen id = _n
reshape long v, i(id)
contract v _j , zero
graph hbar (asis) _freq , over(_j) over(v)

You may do need to do some renaming to get the names in a suitable state
for -reshape-.

I used the -hbar- choice because for your problem with 28 bars,
legibility will be an issue with -graph bar-.

A hack at a slightly more general program that leaves your data intact.

*! 1.0.0 NJC Statalist 15 May 2008
program multibar
	version 8
	syntax varlist(numeric) [if] [in] [, VALues *]
	marksample touse, novarlist

	quietly {
		count if `touse'
		if r(N) == 0 error 2000

		preserve
		keep if `touse'
		keep `varlist'
		tempname stub lbl
		local i = 1

		foreach v of local varlist {
			gen `stub'`i' = `v'
			label def `lbl' `i' "`v'", add
			local ++i
		}

		tempvar id
		gen `id' = _n
		reshape long `stub', i(`id')
		label val _j `lbl'
		contract `stub' _j, zero
	}

	if "`values'" != "" {
		graph hbar (asis) _freq, over(_j) over(`stub') `options'

	}
	else graph hbar (asis) _freq, over(`stub') over(_j) `options'
end

That is a bit awkward, as in practice you might want to reach inside and
add suboptions to the -over()- options.

In many ways, the best strategy is

1. New structure first.
2. Then -graph-.

Hoping to do it all via one -graph- command is probably hoping for too
much.

Tunga Kantarci

I have a graphing question: I have 7 variables. All the variables take
values from 1 to 4.

I would like to produce a  single graph on which the frequencies are
categorized for the seven variables, for each of the 4 values. That is,

for value one
depict a frequency bar for the first variable
depict a frequency bar for the second variable next to it
depict a frequency bar for the third variable next to it

for value two
depict a frequency bar for the first variable
depict a frequency bar for the second variable next to it
depict a frequency bar for the third variable next to it

for value three
depict a frequency bar for the first variable
depict a frequency bar for the second variable next to it
depict a frequency bar for the third variable next to it

for value four
depict a frequency bar for the first variable
depict a frequency bar for the second variable next to it
depict a frequency bar for the third variable next to it

Here the categorization is over "the values the seven variables take",
and
it is not over "a variable".
I tried several commands of bar graph but cannot really get what I want.