SV: SV: st: Control groups

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   SV: SV: st: Control groups
Date   Tue, 13 May 2008 11:30:15 +0200

Steven, thanks a lot for the advice regarding sampsi, and for additional comments. I'll definitely look into it.

Best wishes,
Alex

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] P� vegne av Steven Samuels
Sendt: 13. mai 2008 05:13
Til: [email protected]
Emne: Re: SV: st: Control groups

Alexander, you can use -sampsi- as a rough guide for stratified sampling, provided that the relative sampling fractions (treatment/
control) do not differ much between strata.

I don't know this area, but do you really want to do a hypothesis test?  It sounds like you want to estimate proportions of people who respond to a campaign over time or at all. The control group provides the proportion who freely respond in the absence of a campaign. A test of zero campaign effect does not seem relevant.  Wouldn't the more pertinent questions be: how big an effect, answered with confidence intervals; or a null hypothesis that the effect is at most some quantity "D", with alternative effect>D.  The CI approach (but not a hypothesis test) can incorporate finite-population corrections.  See any sampling book for details.

-Steven