RE: st: Stepping through do file

From   "Buzz Burhans" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stepping through do file
Date   Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:01:54 -0400

Dear StataCorp,

I'd like to suggest a utility be added to Stata that would work similarly to
the -trace- utility now in Stata.  The utility would be an extension of the
nifty and very useful -stepdo- utility that Michael Blasnik wrote earlier in
this thread.

The extended capabilities that would be useful would be to allow it to
continue stepping through a -do- file nested and called within the first
-do- file, and also to allow setting the size (i.e. number of lines) of the
"step".

The idea would be that much like -set tracedepth X- and -set trace on- the
user could -set step X- (X being the number of lines between each pause) and
then -set step on- .  Perhaps instead of using 'q' to advance it could allow
the spacebar to advance the file execution the next step, somewhat like
after -more-.  If it is considered, please also implement it so that it
echoes the line number where each step pauses -that is quite useful.  If you
allow it to step through nested files, it would also be useful to have it
echo the -do- file name with the line number at each step -in some of my
work before I had Michael's -stepdo- I was manually adding pauses to allow
me to inspect the output -but I added (manually) the -do- file name to each
pause message because I was sometimes at a nested level, and the line no.
alone didn't tell me where I was paused.

Michael Blasnik's utility has been very very helpful, and I am grateful for
his effort to write it.  I suspect others will find it useful at times as
well.

Buzz

Buzz Burhans, Ph.D.

Dairy-Tech Group