st: Re: MATA: dynamically generating variable names in MATA

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: MATA: dynamically generating variable names in MATA
Date   Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:46:34 -0400

What you describe below creates variables equal to constants, which is not a good idea in Stata. If you want to have a set of scalar values taking on specific values, use the scalar command in Stata. You can, as others have suggested, do something similar with matrix elements in Mata (which, like Stata, is not an acronym). You can also use Mata pointers to create a set of temporary variables in Mata.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html