RE: st: WHILE command

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: WHILE command
Date   Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:09:21 -0000

Good point. Even the word "immediately" is, on closer inspection,
possibly ambiguous.

If it does mean, hmm, immediately, without executing another line
of code, Nick is right.

If it means at the end of that loop, the other comments are
right too.

Nick Winter

I believe the answer to the first question is "no":

 > When does it evaluate the WHILE condition? If it becomes false
 > does
 >  it immediately exit the WHILE loop?

That is, Stata evaluates the condition at the beginning.  If true it
then executes the code in the braces.  Then it evaluates the condition
again.  So it does not exit in the middle of the block of code.

For example:

local i 1
while `i'==1 {
   local i 0
   di "this gets displayed once despite the fact"
   di "that local -i- is now zero"
}