Re: st: WHILE command

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: WHILE command
Date   Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:24:07 -0400

I believe the answer to the first question is "no":

> When does it evaluate the WHILE condition? If it becomes false
> does
> it immediately exit the WHILE loop?

That is, Stata evaluates the condition at the beginning. If true it then executes the code in the braces. Then it evaluates the condition again. So it does not exit in the middle of the block of code.

For example:

local i 1
while `i'==1 {
local i 0
di "this gets displayed once despite the fact"
di "that local -i- is now zero"
}

--Nick Winter

Nick Cox wrote:

Please note the -cmdname- convention flagged in the FAQ.
Eva is correct.
In addition, know that -while- knows nothing about local macros.
In this example
local i = 10 while `i' { local --i di `i' }
what -while- sees is the command line after the names of any local
macros have been replaced by their contents.
At first that is
while 10
then it is in turn
while 9
and so forth. The example also shows that the expression handled by
-while- need not be one with two arguments and a binary operator. Any expression with
numeric result is legal.
while 1 { ...
}
would be legal too (and is sometimes useful).
Nick [email protected]
Eva Poen

Vincent,

I believe the answers are "yes" and "yes". See the example below.

local i 0
local j 10

while `i' < `j' {
di ""