Re: st: simulation of survival datasets in Stata

From   Michael McCulloch <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: simulation of survival datasets in Stata
Date   Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:33:07 -0700

Thank you Paul for the excellent examples. I'm proceeding to learn how to do this.

You need to simulate time-to-event followed by censoring. The easiest is exponential or Weibull.
Weibull is :
S=exp(-lambda*t^p)
where lambda is the hazard ratio:
lambda=exp(sum beta x)

beta_0 is a constant reflecting the baseline hazard. beta_1 ... reflect the effects of covariates.
p is the Weibull shape parameter (positive number), and if valued p=1 reduces to exponential.

Generate lambda with hazard ratio 1.9 for drug treatment (0,1):

- lambda=-2.5+ln(1.9)*drug -

To simulate time-to-event, substitute the random unit variate R for S, and solve for t.
t=(-ln(R)/lambda)^(1/p)

or in Stata:

- gen t=(-ln(uniform())/lambda)^(1/p) -

Some of the t values will be very large, and you will need a censoring variable to reflect the end of study (say 90 days).
- gen fail=1 -
- replace fail=0 if t>90 -
- replace t=90 if t>90 -

Then, look at your handiwork-
- stset t, fail(fail) -
- sts graph, by(drug) -
- stcox drug -

Paul

Michael McCulloch wrote:

Hello Statalist members,
I'm seeking examples of simulation of survival datasets in Stata. Can anyone point me in the right direction? My goal is to simulate a dataset to validate a Stata survival program I've written.

Thank you.

--
E. Paul Wileyto, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biostatistics