st: re: installing V10, V9

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: installing V10, V9
Date   Thu, 21 Feb 2008 07:22:12 -0500

To follow up on my earlier posting, Sylvain wants to install V9 on a system where V10 is already installed. I have no familiarity with how these files are structured on Windows, but it is certainly possible that if he uses the Stata media to get the appropriate V9 files installed he will overwrite the equivalent directories for V10, rendering his V10 installation unusable. There are ways around this for the knowledgeable user (i.e. one who knows how to give commands to rename directories, etc.) but as Nick Cox said there care must be taken to end up with a system on which both executables are usable, coupled to the appropriate ado-files.

That said, it is certainly possible -- by redefining elements of the ADOPATH -- to make the same set of PLUS and PERSONAL adofiles accessible to more than one copy of Stata (presuming that that makes sense).

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/