st: Re: installing V10, v9

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: installing V10, v9
Date   Thu, 21 Feb 2008 07:04:06 -0500

This is _extremely_ bad advice. The "ados that are not there" include 80%+ of the code of official Stata, and they need to be in sync with the executable. Those ados need to be installed from the original media, then brought up to date with -update-, if you are going to have a hope of using this version of Stata. Someone might misinterpret these instructions as "copy the UPDATES and BASE folders to my Stata 9 installation; as they work for Stata 10, they must be better than those for Stata 9, so I'll use those instead." Guaranteed that you will get very strange behavior out of Stata 9 if the adofiles are not those distributed with Stata 9.

How comes it depends on the OS???
Because Windows, Mac OS X and *nix have different conventions for where these files live, and what should happen in the GUI if you double-click on a do-file, or dta file, or .gph file.

Earlier in today's digest we saw an example where advice to use /tmp did not work for another user. It works fine for me, and for every user who eschews Windows. There are necessarily some platform- specific conventions which must be respected. One of them relates to an executable that can be launched from the command line; as is amply discussed in Stata manuals and FAQs, those cannot be installed in arbitrary locations or the licensing will not work.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html