st: RE: Accessing command line parameters

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Accessing command line parameters
Date   Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:50:35 -0000

My guess is that whatever is not accessible via -creturn list- is in a
private place not accessible to users, or even user-programmers. I could
be very wrong, but that is my guess.

But there is another perspective also. Your questions like this are
quite deep and often go way beyond what is documented. Very likely, only
StataCorp know the answers, or know that you are not quite asking the
right questions. What is the prior probability that they would want to
disclose details of their internals in a very public place? I sense
three possibilities, not exclusive.

1. You are asking for something that is a proprietary secret.

2. You are asking for an answer which would not make sense to you if it
were given, because you would need lots of other information to make use
of it.

3. StataCorp might be willing in principle to give you some information
but wary of talking about matters that are almost always done by Stata
on users' behalf. You might be asking for information that once released
could tempt yourself or other users into experimentation that might land
people in messy situations. Disclosure would not be worth the downside
of what might go wrong.

As I say, I am guessing. But I match your question in a public place
with advice in a public place: Take these questions off the list and
talk directly to StataCorp. They might have a direct answer (including
No). They might be very interested in working with you to apply Stata in
quite novel territory, possibly after some non-disclosure agreement.
That's a better strategy than asking these questions in this forum.

Sergiy Radyakin

I wonder if I can read the parameters that Stata receives when it is
launched. I want to automatically set memory (in the profile.do) to be
at least as big as necessary for the dataset that is being opened
(with a double-click in explorer/windows).

If it is possible, where does Stata store these command line parameters?

**********************
** this is what I see when I double-click a large file in Windows:

running C:\...\profile.do ...

. use C:\DataDir\MyDataset.DTA
no room to add more observations
    An attempt was made to increase the number of observations beyond
what is currently possible.  You have the following
    alternatives:

     1.  Store your variables more efficiently; see help compress.
(Think of Stata's data area as the area of a rectangle;
         Stata can trade off width and length.)

     2.  Drop some variables or observations; see help drop.

     3.  Increase the amount of memory allocated to the data area
using the set memory command; see help memory.
r(901);