RE: st: nl command with restriction

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: nl command with restriction
Date   Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:55:18 -0000

Good point. I was thinking in simpler terms of e.g. a and (1 - a). I
know that does not guarantee that either parameter is between 0 and 1,
but there is perhaps a difference between gentle force and brute force
here. That is, if gentle force does not work and brute force is
essential you've learned something about the model fitting.

E. Paul Wileyto

Rudolfo stated that the parameters are all positive and sum to 1, so the

values are going to act like proportions, even if you don't think of
them that way.  We use this approach all the time to put bounds on
estimates.