st: how to test endogeneity of regressors in panel for Hausman-Taylor

From   John Bunge <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: how to test endogeneity of regressors in panel for Hausman-Taylor
Date   Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:31:18 +0100

Dear all,

my concern is to estimate a panel with the Hausman Taylor methodology. This estimator assumes some of the time-invariant and time-variant covariates to be endogenous.

I would like to test the endogeneity of some regressors, i.e. correlation with individual random effect (remember that a two-component error process it is usually assumed, where I label the 'individual random effect' what is the time-invariant component). I heard from a test proposed by Baltagi, Bresson and Pirotte (2003): "Fixed Effects, Random Effects or Hausman-Taylor? A Pretest Estimator", published in Economics Letters 79, pp. 361-369. (this test is based on the well-known Hausman Specification test). Is this test implemented in Stata?

Are there other ways to test the endogeneity of regressors and by this to analyze whether Hausman-Taylor might be more appropriate than Random Effects?

Best,

John.

--
John Bunge