generating variable with previous values [was: RE: st: Wald test limit?]

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   generating variable with previous values [was: RE: st: Wald test limit?]
Date   Wed, 6 Feb 2008 17:52:48 -0000

Please read the FAQ on using informative titles, on not replying to
other threads and on deleting irrelevant material.

You don't say what your difficulty is. But perhaps this example will
help:

. bysort mother_id (B_order) : gen prev_infd = infd[_n-1]

Unnati Rani Saha

I am facing difficulties to compute a new variable. I would grateful if
any
of you help me. My data is in long file and I have given below an
example:

Mother's ID		Child's B_date	     B_order	Infant death
1S00005404		6-sep-82			1
1
1S00005404		6-jan-84			2
0