st: RE: bootstrapping RE with small number of clusters

Subject   st: RE: bootstrapping RE with small number of clusters
Date   Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:22:15 -0000

Lloyd,

You're probably in "tough luck" land, I'm afraid.

The coefficients on the time-invariant regressors rely entirely on the
cross-unit variation.  In effect, you have 15 observations for
estimating however many such coefficients you've got.  Even if there's
only one, 15-1=14 degrees of freedom is not going to be very convincing.
If the #regressors>15 then RE is not possible at all.

> Second, I am concerned with the potential for small sample
> bias in my variance estimates.  I thought a good way to deal
> with this would be to bootstrap my standard errors (using
> -xtreg- , the cluster option, and the vce(bootstrap)
> options).  Now, I am a novice with the bootstrap, but my
> initial attempts yielded confidence intervals, not
> surprisingly, far less favorable than those yielded under the
> normality assumption.  (This did not improve much as I
> increased the number of reps.)
>
> So, does that just further demonstrate that my RE estimates
> are inconsistent and that there is little I can do about it?

Sort of.  The problem isn't inconsistency, which is an asymptotic
concept. That is, estimates are consistent as something - here, the
number of panel units i.e. clusters - goes off to infinity.  The problem
is, rather, that 15 is not very far on the way to infinity.

Sorry I can't be more constructive.

--Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes