Re: st: ICE in STATA 10.0

From   Naomi Spence <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ICE in STATA 10.0
Date   Thu, 03 Jan 2008 14:18:02 -0500

Thank you! Using the version 9: bit worked.

Naomi

Richard Williams wrote:
At 01:24 PM 1/3/2008, Naomi Spence wrote:
Has anyone run into trouble using ICE in Stata 10? When attempting to use the passive and substitute options, I get an error message that states "Unknown function index()". I have followed examples and done a lot of troubleshooting, but this error message is persistent and I don't know the reason for it. Below is an example of my syntax:

ice depvar age inc emp home south mstat nvrmar widow divsep using imp, dryrun ///
cmd(mstat:mlogit) passive(nvrmar:mstat==1 \widow:mstat==2 \divsep:mstat==3) ///
substitute(mstat:nvrmar widow divsep)

WHERE mstat is a categorical variable for marital status and nvrmar, widow, and divsep are dummy variables based on mstat with married as the omitted category.

Any advice/guidance is appreciated.
The index function got some new and improved name in Stata 9, and in Stata 10 it stopped working, except under version control. I've seen a few programs that had failed to insert version commands get zapped because of this.

I'd be a little surprised if an error like this has gone undetected and unfixed for so long. So, make sure you have the latest versions of ice and of Stata. If you do, then you might try something like

version 9: ice ...

to see if that solves the problem.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227