st: Splitting Observations if Ties are Present

From   Thomas Speidel <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Splitting Observations if Ties are Present
Date   Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:12:52 -0600

I have a dataset that looks like this:

        date      value   maxtag   mintag   firsttag   lasttag
    Jan 2001     13.616        1        .          1         .
    Oct 2001      2.632        .        1          .         .
    Jul 2007      6.474        .        .          .         1

*tag indicates whether a particular value was the first, last, min or
max.  Obviously, the possibility of ties exist.  In this case 13.616 is
both the max and first value.

What I am trying to get at is single observation dataset that looks like
this:

firsttag  mintag   maxtag   lasttag
13.616      2.632       13.616   6.474

I have been able to do so when no ties are present (using sxpose after
some data management).  However, when ties are present I need to be able
to perhaps add one or two more observations to the initial dataset to
reflect the presence of ties (in this case I would need to add onother
row for Jan 2001 and change the max and firsttag accordingly so that
only one tag exists for each row).  Perhaps someone has a better suggestion.

Thanks,
Thomas