Re: st: RE: Beginning Programming Advice

From   "Thomas Jacobs" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Beginning Programming Advice
Date   Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:30:37 -0500

Dear Nick,

Thanks for the reply.  I was purposely vague on the problem definition
because it is the Stata aspects and not the iterative problem that I
was hoping for direction on.  Your reply was helpful in that it
appears that I would be best to somehow load a large matrix and
process each observation with a program and not try to use Gen to call
a function.

Here is a more detailed problem definition with two companies and one
year of trading data for each - I did not populate the sample
Accounting values(Acct), Market Equity (MktEq) or Equity Volatility
(EqVol) variables but they would have a value for each company and
trading day combination:

Company, TradeDay, Acct1, Acct2, MktEq, EqVol
1               1
1               2
1               252
2               1
2               252

On each day I am solving the following non-linear equations each of
which has one or more cumulative normal distribution functions
embedded in the right hand side and I have introduced the variables I
need to solve for: Market Value of Assets (MktAssets) and Asset
Volatility (AssetVol):

MktEq = f(Acct1, Acct2, EqVol, MktAssets, AssetVol)

EqVol = f(Acct1, Acct2, MktEq, MktAssets, AssetVol)

I would then have a file or dataset in memory that appears as:

Company, TradeDay, Acct1, Acct2, MktEq, EqVol, MktAssets, AssetVol

for use in econometric modeling.  I hope this makes the problem more
clear.  I can use either Newton's method, a Quasi-Newton method or
Broyden's method to do the iteration depending upon speed of
convergence/computational time constraints.  For those familiar with
the Finance literature this problem comes from Merton's 1974 paper,
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest
Rates."

I know how to proceed in Matlab, but was hoping to use this problem to
get into Stata programming.  I have reviewed all the manuals but am
still uncertain how to proceed.  Given your reply, I am inclined to
load the data as I do now, define a large matrix and partially fill it
(column-wise) with the loaded data, then write a program that steps
through each row of the matrix and iteratively solves for the two
variables to populate the remainder of the matrix and either generate
variables from the completed matrix or else perform the econometric
tests on the matrix directly when it is completed.  Whether or not
this is a reasonable approach, I would appreciate any direction as I
am struggling how to define the Stata aspects of the problem.

Sincerely,

Tom

Thomas Jacobs