RE: st: add up the total stay

From   STATA Dndee <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: add up the total stay
Date   Fri, 12 Oct 2007 18:57:13 +0100 (BST)

Thanks for replies.
I am new to STATA and this discussion board and
apparently I couldn�t describe my question. It is not
about destring the variables to date format. I can
manage it with this command for example for DateA:

gen NewVar = date(  DateA, "dm20y")
format NewVar  %td

My problem is to calculate 2 variables :
datecamedatewent and totalstayeachvisit in STATA.  For
the example it�s been done manually.
So there 2 questions
1) In STATA how can I manage to get
totalstayeeachvisit regarding that it depends on id
and any continues stay refer to columns DateCame
DateWent.  What is the command to manage getting 2
outputs for SD101 and not 3?
2) How can I tell STATA replace 0 with 0.5 if
difference between Came and Went is 0?

I don�t know where that 0.1 came from, the data are
here again.
Your help is very much appreciated.

id	DateCame	DateWent	datecamedatewent
totalstayeachvisit