RE: st: add up the total stay

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: add up the total stay
Date   Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:10:14 +0100

I think Arun later answered the question about
two-digit years in dates himself (or herself).

Just one tip: If I see sample data like

SD101 05-Nov-05 05-Nov-05
SD101 05-Nov-05 11-Nov-05
SD101 28-Apr-05 28-Apr-05
SD105 03-Jul-06 03-Jul-06
SD105 29-Mar-06 29-Mar-06
SD105 13-Jan-06 14-Jan-06
SD105 10-Jan-06 13-Jan-06
SD105 24-May-04 25-May-04
SD217 22-Sep-05 22-Sep-05

in a Statalist posting, I wouldn't go the -infix-
route. I copy and paste that into an empty
Stata data editor window. Often the results
end up as a single string variable, but that
is often fixable with a single

split var1, destring

followed by a little cleaning up. In this case
the dates remain together within single variables.

Arun Rajamohan