Re: st: Time Series/ arima postestimation- How to forecast morethan one-step-ahead?

From   Robert A Yaffee <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Time Series/ arima postestimation- How to forecast morethan one-step-ahead?
Date   Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:47:56 -0400

Erika,
    How you proceed depends on whether you are performing an ex ante or an out-of-sample
forecast.   Then you have to decide whether you want your forecast to be based on an
iterative projection or a structural forecast.
    You have to examine the driving variable to see whether there is inherant autocorrelation
in it that needs prewhitening or another form of neutralization (using the Pankratz linear
transfer functon approach).
    If you are using ex ante forecasting, you must control for that first and predict the x over
the forecast horizon. Then you can insert that data and proceed to predict the y.  Then you
need to predict the residuals to analyze them to see whether they have remaining arma errors
that need to be modeled.
    If you are using an out-of-sample forecast,  Clive's approach is fine assuming that all of the
aforementioned assumptions are fulfilled.
    You also have the option of resorting to the prais, newey, or the
var y , exog(x) command
      Regards,
         Bob Yaffee

Robert A. Yaffee, Ph.D.