RE: st: RE: RE: -outreg2- in Stata 10, Richard

Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: -outreg2- in Stata 10, Richard
Date   Wed, 01 Aug 2007 22:18:35 -0500

At 08:20 PM 8/1/2007, Mentzakis, Emmanouil wrote:

I hadn't thought of the update solution to start with because I was always left with the impression that whatever works for Stata 9 should work for Stata 10.
That will generally be true IF the program includes a version statement; if not it can get broken in later versions of Stata.

Also, post-estimation commands can get broken even if they use version control. This can occur if the estimation command changes its ereturned results. Various post-estimation commands for ologit and oprobit got zapped in version 9 because the format of e(b) changed. One solution was/is to run the estimation commands themselves with version control. outreg2 and estout are post-estimation commands, so it wouldn't surprise me if they some day got zapped by a change in Stata.

I'm kind of surprised that version control works as well as it does. Support for version control seems to be unique to official Stata programs, e.g. you can do version 8: ologit but I don't think I've ever seen anything like version 8: userwrittencommand. Instead, authors might have something like userwrittencommand7 for a version of the command written for Stata 7.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]
WWW: http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam