Re: st: Bar graph: problem with category labels

From   [email protected] (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Bar graph: problem with category labels
Date   Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:31:51 -0500

Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]> writes,

> When a two-line category label is added to a -graph hbar, over()-
> horizontal bar graph, the labels above the two-line label are no
> longer centered next to the bars. This happens in Stata versions 8,
> 9 and 10.
>
> . sysuse auto
> . graph hbar mpg trunk, over(rep78)
> . graph hbar mpg trunk, over(rep78, relabel(3 "One line"))
> . graph hbar mpg trunk, over(rep78, relabel(3 `""Two" "lines""'))
> . graph hbar mpg trunk turn, over(rep78, relabel(3 `""Two" "lines""'))
>
> In the first two graphs all category labels are centered next to the
> bars. In the third and fourth graph the labels for the first two
> categories are shifted up along the vertical axis.
>
> How can all category labels be centered next to the bars?

Pages of explanation would not make this clear.  Better to run the commands
Friedrich supplied and see the problem for yourself.

Scott Merryman <[email protected]> came up with what Friedrich
rightly calls an "amazing" solution.

   . graph hbar mpg trunk, over(rep78, ///

Scott basically forced the correct alignment of labels by throwing a pair of
blank lines around each default label that was displaying one row higher than
center.

Scott's creative solution notwithstanding, this looks like a bug to me and one
that we will fix in the next ado updates.

-- Vince